A Guide to Cromer and Its Neighbourhood by a Visitor, 1841
A Modern Introduction
You'll find the background to the 1841 A Guide to Cromer and Its Neighbourhood, By a Visitor on page 104 of A Dictionary of Cromer and Overstrand History. As ever, such a text provides fascinating snippets of information and the writers of Cromer's history - and those who write today - place considerable reliance on such texts and repeat elements from them.
There had been an earlier book. Bartell's Guide of 1802, written in 1798, is surprisingly thin in the information iit contains. The next Guide, this 1841 edition, is rather better at actually conveying information.
In the context of the website, we are also able to provide the census information for 1841, so this is the Cromer that will be familiar to the inhabitants listed there. In particular, they will nearly all have lived through the 1837 storm which sounds to have been comparable with that of 1953.
The following is only the element that covers the town itself; the booklet contains sections on other nearby places to visit.
The 1841 Booklet
"Music is in thy billows,
Grandeur doth walk thy beach, sit on the cliffs,
Wave in thy woods, and Nature's smile or frown,
As cast o'er thee, is beautiful."
A GUIDE to CROMER and its immediate neighbourhood having been long desired, the following is presented to the Public. The Author pretends to no originality, nor offers the present as perfect in its kind. It was undertaken simply because a deficiency was expressed, and a few hours of recreation gave the opportunity of attempting to supply it. All criticism therefore, it is hoped, will be spared as to the execution of the design, and that the intention only will be regarded. Sincere thanks are returned to those individuals whose information has proved of such material assistance towards the completion of the work, with a full acknowledgment, that, if any worth be attached to it, that worth is due to them.
Cromer, August 3, 1841.
THERE are few places in this kingdom which combine to a greater degree the advantages of a salubrious and invigorating air, a fine and open sea, or more pleasing scenery than Cromer. The lover of nature, the student, or the invalid may frequent its shores with equal benefit, and with equal gratification. That it is not more known, or become a place of more general resort, is the result rather of circumstances, than of any deficiency in itself. True, indeed, it has not the metropolitan luxuries of Brighton, or the elegances of some of our more southern favourites to recommend it, neither does it offer any resources of gaiety for the amusement of its visitors; but nevertheless, it will never want admirers, so long as an unvitiated taste, a desire of scientific knowledge, or a wish for the renovation of health shall exist.
Cromer is situated on the most north-easterly point of the Norfolk coast, nine miles N. N. W. of North Walsham, ten miles E. N. E. of Holt, eleven miles N. by E. of Aylsham, twenty-two miles north of Norwich, and one hundred and thirty N. E. by N. of London. It is built on lofty cliffs, not less than sixty feet high, nearest the town, and is sheltered on three sides by an amphitheatre of hills, partly covered with woods, and commanding a view of the wide waters of the German Ocean, nowhere to be excelled in extent or sublimity. Its population had increased between the years 1801 and 1836, from six hundred and seventy-six souls to twelve hundred and thirty-two : by the last census it appeared that it was twelve hundred and twenty-nine ; but this apparent decline may be accounted for by the time of year in which it was taken, when no visitors were in the place, and the greatest part of the fishermen were absent at Scarboro', engaged in the mackerel fishery, where their business frequently takes them. The parish now comprises only about seven hundred acres of land, mostly belonging to the Countess of Listowel, (widow of the late George Thomas Windham, Esq., of Cromer, and one of the daughters of the late Admiral Windham, of Felbrigg,) who is also the Lady of the Manor, and the owner of Cromer Hall.
For some centuries the sea has continued to make considerable encroachments on this part of the coast. Cromer itself was formerly situated at some distance from it, and formed in the reign of the Conqueror, as appears from the Doomsday Survey, a part of the lordship and parish of Shipden, a village of some importance, which, with its church, dedicated to St. Peter, was swallowed up by the sea about the time, as it is supposed, of Henry IV.; for a patent to exact certain dues for the erection of a pier at Shipden was granted in the fourteenth of Richard II., and two years afterwards, Sir William Beauchamp alienated, to a priory of Carthusians, a piece of land in Shipden, adjoining the rectory.
At very low tides, large masses of old wall are still to be seen nearly half a mile from the cliffs, which the fishermen call the Church Rock, from the supposition that they formed part of the old church at Shipden ; but some have discredited the idea, on the ground that the constant action of the sea for so many ages must have destroyed all vestiges of the building. We have, however, seen a fragment of the wall which was lately obtained from the mass during a very low tide ; and it is undoubtedly composed of the squared flints, such as are used in the present church of Cromer.
The sea has continued to make rapid encroachments on the cliffs. Many large portions of land were washed away in 1611, previous to which the inhabitants had endeavoured, but fruitlessly, although they bestowed much labour and ingenuity in the attempt, to maintain a small harbour. In the winter of 1799, the Light-house cliffs, which rise from the beach to the height of three hundred and twenty feet, made several large slips, or shoots as they are called, one of which brought with it, at least half an acre of ground, and extended a considerable way into the sea at low water-mark. On January 15, 1825, a similar occurrence took place. An immense mass was detached from the cliff; which fell with tremendous force on the beach, extending in breadth above five hundred yards from the cliffs, covering an area of about twelve acres, and containing, it was supposed, not less than half a million of cubic yards of earth. Nothing had been observed which could raise any suspicion of what was about to take place, but providentially no lives were lost, nor did any accident occur, although the coast-guard had to pass in the night the very spot where it fell. A large and rapid stream, the cause in all probability of the catastrophe, immediately after the fall, issued from the bank, discharging itself down upon the beach with great violence.
In the morning of August 19, 1832, the Lighthouse hill again sustained a similar loss. This shoot was so considerable as to cause serious apprehension for the safety of the light-house itself; in consequence of which the master and elder brethren of the Trinity House, London, under whose superintendence all such matters are directed, determined on erecting a new one on the hill, two hundred and eighty yards further inland. The former one, which is partly dismantled, stands about three-quarters of a mile east of the town: both houses are in the parish of Overstrand. The first was built of brick in 1719, by Edward Browne of Ipswich ; the present tower is also constructed of brick and stuccoed. It is fifty-two feet in height, and about two hundred and fifty above the level of the sea, surmounted with a lantern lighted by thirty lamps in three divisions, placed in plated copper reflectors, which revolve on an upright axis ; the whole making a revolution in three minutes, consequently a full light is exhibited to the mariners every minute, consuming about eleven hundred gallons of oil annually. The gleam of light is perceptible about twenty-seven miles distant. The lamps all the year are lighted up at sunset, and extinguished at sunrise.
Many years ago, the first house was lighted up with coals, which was not only an uncertain light, but also a fixed one, and was frequently mistaken. The labour and expense likewise attendant on this method were very great; for the light was kept up by means of a large bellows, which was incessantly worked like a blacksmith's forge, and the coals, which article is always at a high price in Cromer, could be brought up the hill only by small quantities at a time. In addition to which the smoke and dirt caused by their consumption, made the office of light-house-keeper a most disagreeable and an unhealthy one. The lamps require to be trimmed every three hours ; but as the attendance is shared by two persons, a comfortable portion of sleep is allowed to each, the night being divided between them.
The annual salary formerly paid by the Trinity House to the light-house-keeper, was fifty pounds, it is now one hundred pounds. When the writer of this article first visited Cromer, many years ago, the situation was held by two females, by whom the house was kept in such beautiful order, as to form of itself, an object of attraction and admiration.
The floating-light off Happisburgh, twelve miles to the east, may be distinctly seen in the night from the town, where the cliffs are not so lofty as those near the light-house.
Within the last five years the appearance of Cromer, viewed from the beach, has been materially changed. Before that time the undefended cliff alone presented itself to the eye, and the town seemed to stand much further back. A large subscription-room, bath-house, and other edifices, were constructed on the beach and side of the cliff, and apparent distance was given to the whole. At present the jetty appears buried under the town, and the tower of the church to frown over it - this change is owing to the following circumstance:
In the month of February, 1837, an extraordinary high tide occurred, accompanied with a furious gale from the north-west, which washed the whole of the above-mentioned edifices away, and even for a time threatened the destruction of the town and church. For two days, the 17th and 18th of February, the storm continued to rage. The day previous had been particularly fine, and the wind was gentle ;-all had retired to rest in apparent security, fearless of the grand but capricious element which rolled near them. In the middle of the night, however, an alarm was given ; -the tide was rising to an unprecedented height, threatening to engulph all within its reach. In a few moments all was terror and confusion ; the cliff was crowded with spectators, every assistance was afforded to those immediately exposed to the fury of the mighty billows which poured in, and happily the loss of one life alone is to be deplored. This poor man was left in charge of Simms's bathing-house; he was aroused, but whether he gave no heed to the admonition, or remained too long on the premises, is uncertain. He was borne away by the waters, together with the house, and his body was afterwards picked up at Bacton, near Mundesley, a distance of ten miles.
Morning presented an awful spectacle, and scarcely could the inhabitants recognize their own beach. But the alarm and the danger had not yet subsided ; the wind continued to blow from the same quarter with equal violence throughout the clay, and the tide was equally high. On the morning of the 18th, the cliff being undermined, fell in, bringing down with it one house ; at the same time two vessels were lost, the one off the light-house hill, the other on the western edge of the town. The crew of the former were saved ; five of those of the latter perished in an attempt to reach the shore by means of the boat. They were both from South Shields, which place they had left only forty-eight hours before the awful catastrophe occurred. The report of what had happened was speedily circulated through the neighbourhood, and such was the interest that it excited, that the town for many days afterwards was filled with persons anxious to behold the devastation.
From that time till the following year no steps were taken to protect the town from the increasing advance of the sea; but in the year 1838, a proposal was made to erect a safety wall for its defence. Accordingly the inhabitants subjected themselves to a rate in order to defray the expense, and the remainder of the sum estimated was raised by subscription. Those who had property on the cliff, and whose interest was thereby more particularly consulted, were rated at twenty shillings in the pound; others who were more remotely benefited, at ten shillings. It is sincerely wished that the means adopted for the security of the place will fully answer the end; but it is difficult for an inexperienced eye at least, to watch the furious rage of the tide, and knowing what has occurred, not to fear what yet may be.
A breakwater has also been raised as a further security to the place, and on the stability of this much necessarily depends. Whilst this continues firm, there is little to be apprehended ; if this were swept away, the breastwork which defends the cliff would be but a slight defence.
The jetty, which formerly projected about seventy yards into the sea, was erected by subscription at the cost of fourteen hundred pounds, in 1822, after the old one had been destroyed by a furious storm. The high tide which we have just recorded did considerable injury likewise to the jetty, an injury which has not yet been entirely repaired. This is the fashionable resort in the evening, the company assembling here, some to enjoy the pure sea breezes, to watch the noble billows as they dash in graceful fury on the beach, the fine spectacle of the setting sun, or the mild splendour of the moon; others to meet their acquaintances, and a few, perhaps, whose discernment of the ridiculous is quicker than that of the sublime, for the exercise of their satirical talents.
This promenade is certainly extremely agreeable. No one who has not witnessed a fine sunset at Cromer, can have any idea of its magnificence: nor is the sunrise less beautiful ; but few eyes, it may be presumed, are then open to view it. Cromer, indeed, possesses this double advantage, that the sun both rises and sets in the bosom of the ocean. During the season, a person, who is paid gratuitously, acts as a keeper of the jetty, whose business it is to prevent improper persons from obtruding themselves, and to preserve good order. We know not whether he has the power to forbid the smoking of cigars, but we certainly think that such ought to be the case ; and we would add, that we can hardly believe that any real gentleman would require an admonition on such a point. Servants in livery and all common persons are not allowed at this time. On Sunday the jetty is, with just consideration, resigned to the inhabitants of the town.
The beach having a fine firm sand and a level surface, affords excellent sea-bathing, and every accommodation is supplied for the purpose. It is also much frequented when the tide is out, both as a promenade and for a drive. Indeed, the sands present a very gay and animated scene at this time, while the jetty is deserted. The carriage road to the beach is not so good as might be desired ; but there are several convenient approaches to the beach and jetty by means of zigzag footpaths cut in the cliff, and terminating by easy staircases. A walk on the beach, whether to the east or the west of the town, is always delightful and interesting. Whether the grand expanse of waters on the one side, its waves breaking in hollow or harmonious melody, and winning us to meditation and calmness,-the stupendous and broken cliffs, forming bold projections, or sinking into shadow, concealing in their breast the spoils of ages,-or the treasures of the pebbly shore be the objects of attraction, there is always enough to amuse, to gratify, and to benefit.
The coast itself is particularly dangerous, in consequence of the violent rising of the surf. No less than four or five lights are stationed between this place and Yarmouth, a distance of only thirty-six miles, to prevent vessels from running into Cromer Bay, which, by the by has received the singular appellation of the Devil's Throat. Life-boats are kept in readiness to succour the distressed, and nothing is omitted for their preservation which either the skill or courage of the fisherman can effect, or the generous and benevolent encouragement of individuals execute. We would not offend the amiable and much respected lady to whom this latter observation particularly refers, and therefore we abstain from saying more. True benevolence shrinks from all display, and is unconscious of its own merit; but the name and the remembrance of that lady will live long in the hearts of numbers who have been benefited by her liberality, or have witnessed her anxious superintendence at such seasons, accompanied with a fervent wish that she may long live to succour others, and to enjoy the approval of her own conscience.
Cromer enjoys but little trade, there being no convenient harbour where ships might ride in safety; what there is, consists in the exportation of corn, and importation of coals, tiles, oil-cakes, porter, &c. in vessels of from sixty to one hundred tons burthen. These lie upon the beach, where, at ebb tide, carts are drawn alongside to unlade them, and, when empty, they anchor at a little distance from the shore, and reload by means of boats. This method of lading and unlading is very expensive, as the carts, though drawn by four horses, owing to the steepness of the roads up the cliff, can only carry about half a ton at a time. In this manner they continue passing and repassing till the water has risen so high as to oblige them to desist, and wait till the tide has again receded. About two tides generally serve to complete the ship's unloading.
The sea at Cromer is almost always diversified by a change of moving objects ; the trade from Newcastle, Sunderland, and the Baltic, keeping up a constant succession of vessels ; to which may be added the regular appearance of the various steam-vessels which ply between London and Scotland, giving life and interest to the scene, though defiling, as it were, the pure elements they have conquered by their ponderous volumes of black and waving smoke. In calm weather passengers may be landed from these vessels, in a boat sent for the purpose ; but as the contingency of "wind and weather permitting," is always expressed, few dare avail themselves of such a conveyance.
The cliffs, in many parts, are very lofty, and picturesquely broken ; and their base being, for the most part, composed of strong blue clay, or marl, are capable of making considerable resistance to the impetuous attacks of the sea ; so that while the upper parts, which are chiefly of sandy materials, are brought down by accidental circumstances, the feet still remain, opposing their bold projections to the waves, and forming a happy relief to the level surface of the beach. This is no place to enter into any geological detail respecting these cliffs ; but if the more scientific reader should desire information on this point, we would direct him to an admirable article in the " Philosophical Magazine," from the pen of Mr. Lyell; or, what would be more acceptable, as well as attainable, we would venture to refer him to Mr. S. Simons, of Cromer, who, we feel convinced, would afford him that information which he is so competent to give. In the winter the cliffs are the favourite resort of many sea-birds, but in the summer some, as geese and ducks, retire to the marshes, while others entirely disappear.
Cromer church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, and was probably erected in the reign of Henry IV. is a very handsome structure, built with flint and freestone, and consists of a nave and two aisles: the tower, which is square, with an embattled top, is one hundred and fifty nine feet in height. The entrance at the west end, which is a beautiful specimen of gothic architecture, is in ruins, as are also the north porch, and the chancel, of which little now remains. At one time indeed the other parts of the church were so much in ruins that Divine service was performed in the tower. Many of its ornaments were destroyed by the soldiers of Cromwell, and the church itself converted into barracks. The flinting, in many parts of the building, can scarcely be excelled in the beauty of its execution. The nave and aisles are spacious and neatly fitted up, and made capable of containing a large congregation ; but except the double row of arches which support the roof, and divide the aisles, very little of what it once was now remains; these, however, are of beautiful proportions. The windows, which were formerly of noble dimensions, and were decorated with painted glass, are, on the north side especially, either totally or partially closed, by the introduction of common bricks. It possesses a well-toned organ, and galleries have lately been erected by the contributions of the visitors and inhabitants, obtained through the strenuous exertions of the Rev. W. Sharpe, whose conduct on the occasion deserves the sincere gratitude of all parties.
Before these galleries were built, the fishermen used to sit together in the middle aisle, and they formed an impressive and pleasing spectacle. Our best feelings, as well as our gratifications, are much enhanced by the association of ideas ; and it was next to impossible to behold these persons, many of whom were venerable with age, and not be put in remembrance of Him whose the sea is, and who is so peculiarly the fisherman's protector. These men, who do their " business in the great waters, and see the wonders of the Lord," are themselves a testimony of his goodness. There is also something sacred in their occupation, which, added to the circumstances of their safety, thereby bringing them calmly to worship him in the haven where they would be, that arrests even the careless eye, and promotes devotion in the more serious.
The church contains but very few monuments, and these belong principally to the Windham and Ditchell families. Indeed, with the exception of one to Mr. B. Rust, and another erected by the inhabitants to a singularly amiable and talented individual, a surgeon and general practitioner of the place, Mr. Charles Stewart Earle, with some ancient slabs, are all it can boast of.
The following circumstance may seem trivial; but, as affording an instance of a providential escape, may not perhaps be unacceptable.
At about a third part of the height of the staircase, which leads up to the steeple, is a door opening upon the leads of a small turret, communicating with the stairs, from which, some years ago, a boy of the name of Yaxley fell into the church-yard between some timbers, (which were laid there for the repairs of the church,) without receiving any other injury than a few slight bruises. He afterwards entered the navy, when, falling down the hold of the vessel to which he belonged, and receiving a severe hurt, he was discharged :through the interest of the late Admiral Windham be obtained a pension, which he still lives to enjoy.
The benefice is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at nine pounds four shillings, and was augmented, from 1743 to 1834, with twelve hundred pounds of royal bounty. The Rev. W. Sharpe is the present incumbent. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, who is also appropriator of the great tithes, now leased to the Countess of Listowel.
Cromer enjoys the advantage of a free-school, founded and endowed with ten pounds per annum by Sir Bartholomew Reed, a native of Cromer, and Lord Mayor of London, in 1502. The master, who was to be " a priest, cunning in grammar," was enjoined to say mass once a year in the parish church of Cromer, for the soul of the worthy founder ; and to teach, with all good diligence, " Gentlemen's sons, poor men's sons, and other good men's children of Cromer, and the villages around." The former part of the duty is dispensed with, but the school still flourishes, the Goldsmith's company, who are the trustees, having rebuilt the school-house in 1821, and augmented the master's salary, at different times, and it now amounts to one hundred and thirty pounds per annum.
Roger Bacon, a mariner of Cromer, is said to have discovered Iceland in the reign of Henry IV. and also to have taken prisoner the Prince of Scotland, James Stewart, who was sailing to France, in order to be educated there.
A savings'-bank was established here in 1827. Petty-sessions are held every alternate Monday. The poor's land was let, in 1786, for ten pounds a year-it now lets for fourteen: guineas. This is equally divided between twenty-four widows, who do not receive relief from the parish. The market, which was held every Saturday, under letters patent of Henry IV. has been long discontinued ; but the town is well supplied with provisions of all kinds, during the bathing season, persons from the country round bringing in poultry, butter, eggs, vegetables, &c. daily. Fish is not very plentiful however, this depends upon the season. Mackerel, whitings, herrings, and cod are caught here ; its lobsters have long been noted for their excellence, as are also its crabs. Great quantities of these are caught and sent immediately to London. Lobsters are reckoned out of season, from the latter end of June to that of July.
It also boasts of an annual fair which is held on Whit Monday.
Cromer was first frequented as a wateringplace about the year 1785, by a few families of retired habits, whose favourable reports of the place induced others to follow their example. The accommodations, however, were long adverse to the influx of visitors, and the want of a respectable inn, in particular, was greatly felt, and was a material check, not so much to the actual prosperity of the place, but to its very existence as a place of general resort. At length, a spirited individual, the present venerable Mr. Tucker, built the New Inn, which from that time to the present he has conducted with the greatest propriety, and with every regard to the comfort of those who have used his house. The character of Cromer thenceforth became altered, and various improvements followed. Indeed, the inhabitants of Cromer owe a large debt of gratitude to him, and if universal respect, and, it is to be hoped, just success, to himself, can reward him, lie receives his full recompense.
There are several machines for sea-bathing, the hour for which is regulated by the tide. The bather, Mr. Jacob, who is a very steady man, and the descendant of a line of bathers, lives in Jetty Street.
There are two bathing-houses, one on the cliff and the other by the side of it, on the beach : both of which are extremely well conducted, and kept by persons of respectability, by whom every requisite attention and civility are shown.
Cromer now contains many comfortable private lodging-houses, as well as apartments for the accommodation of its visitors, as also some respectable inns. One of the best houses in Cromer has lately been converted into a boarding-house, under the name of the Hotel de Paris. A number of houses, called the Crescent, have been built within the last ten years, and are a great acquisition. Had the same spirit of speculation in building, &c., existed here as elsewhere, or the same encouragement, at least, been given to it, it is probable that long ere this, Cromer would have risen to considerable importance as a bathingplace and fashionable resort; nature having done everything for it that might favour such a result. It has, however, been asserted, and perhaps with truth, that this spirit of improvement has been discountenanced on the ground, that the moral welfare of the place was promoted by its comparative obscurity and non-intermixture with the idle and the more corrupted servants, &c. of cities and towns. The facilities of travelling to long distances, too naturally tends to injure places which depend much on the local encouragement they receive. Persons who were once content, to visit, summer after summer, the same place, or who chose that which their own neighbourhood made most convenient, are no longer detained by motives of expense or distance from indulging a taste for variety. The rent of the houses is high, and consequently, that of lodgings is the same: the latter may be had at the rate of from one guinea and a half to three and a half: entire houses from four to six guineas a week : those of the latter price, of which there are not more than four or five, make up ten beds, and are therefore capable of accommodating a large family.
The inhabitants, almost universally speaking, are extremely civil and well-behaved, respectable in themselves, and respectful towards others ; simple in their manners, and free from that spirit of extortion which is but too commonly the fault of those who have only a short season to enable them to meet many exigences, and who have only a partial interest in those they serve.
The walks, drives, &c., round Cromer are exceedingly beautiful, affording alike to the geologist, botanist, and mineralogist, abundant materials for the gratification of their respective tastes. Many valuable organic and fossil remains are to be found in different parts of the coast, a circumstance to which the active researches of the late Mr. C. S. Earle served materially to draw the attention of scientific persons. Professor Buckland and the learned Mr. Lyell have both honoured Cromer by visiting it.
Wild flowers are to be met with here in great beauty and luxuriance, some of them sufficiently rare to induce a long and health-giving walk in search of them. The sea-weeds, or algae, are those which are generally found on our coasts, consisting of the great strap-wort, (Laminaria;) Bladder-wort, (Lucus vesiculocus;) Serrated Bladder-wort, (Fucus serratus;) the beautiful crimson Plocamium coccineum, the Ulva latissina, &c.
All these, when cast on the beach, are carefully collected in heaps, and serve as manure to the lands.
Jet and amber are found here in the winter. Jasper of all kinds, cornelian, aqui marina, and agates of every description, some of which are extremely beautiful, may be picked up on the beach. Many of the common pebbles, also, are remarkably handsome, and take a fine polish. The youthful student of mineralogy may also add to his collection specimens of micaceous schist, trapstone, porphyry, basalt, &c. &c. Shells, either fossil or recent, do not abound here, except in the upper chalk, which forms the substratum of the beach, and in isolated patches of the overlying crag, where a few rare fossil shells are found: recent shells, indeed, are scarcely ever to be met with. The common Perriwinkle, (Turbo littoreus;) is, however, plentiful on the rocks at low water; the latter, indeed, are scarcely ever to be met with.
We give no guide to the walks, they are all easily found, and there is a pleasure in making rambles for ourselves where every part of the country invites us to explore it. The best view of the town, however, is from a short distance on the Runton road. Varley, so well known as an artist, has a very pleasing drawing, taken from the spot to which we allude. The woods round Cromer Hall are a beautiful object from every direction. The Hall itself is a handsome mansion, built in the Gothic style, with a centre and two wings. It was commenced in 1827, by George Thomas Windham, Esq., but was burnt down, before it was finished, in 1829. It was rebuilt, and is now occupied by Henry Baring, Esq., brother of Lord Ashburton, who married Miss Maria Windham, another of the daughters of Admiral Windham.
The following gentlemen also possess, and occasionally inhabit handsome houses in or near the town. H. Birkbeck, Esq., Sir Jacob Astley, now Lord Hastings, Samuel Hoare, Esq., and Robert Herring, Esq. George Stanley Repton, Esq. is lord of the manor of Cromer Weylands, and of several other manors in the neighbourhood. Colne House is inhabited by Mrs. Morris.
The season for Cromer is usually reckoned from the beginning of June till the middle or end of October. The place itself is never in such beauty as in the autumn, nor is its sea or the air more invigorating at any time than in the month of October.
A mail-coach arrives daily from Norwich at half-past twelve, and returns at half-past one o'clock. Letters, however, must be received at one o'clock, at which time the post-office closes on payment of a penny a letter will be forwarded the same day. Phaetons, sociables, and also saddle-horses may be had of Mr. Thomas Brown.
There are subscription reading-rooms, where the London and Provincial papers are taken in daily, kept by Mr. Simms; and also a circulating library, kept by Mrs. Leak.
Carriers go once or twice a week to Norwich, Lynn, and other places in the neighbourhood.